I woke up hella early this morning with the irresistible urge to bake. I knew I had a handful of ripe bananas, so I thought I’d improvise on some sort of banana bread. And so, a new breakfast stand-by was created….
Blueberry and Banana Muffins (Gluten-Free!)
Makes 12 standard muffins
3 ripe bananas
3/4 cup blueberries (I used frozen ones, thawed slightly)
1/2 cup tapioca flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp ground cinnamon (or to taste)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Peel and mash bananas in a large mixing bowl (I used a fork) and add eggs one at a time until thoroughly combined.
3. Add the coconut oil and stir until dissolved.
4. Add the flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
Side note: It was 5:30 a.m. when I was making these muffins. I was frantically scanning my kitchen for baking soda. Thankfully, my dad came to the rescue with this GIANT bag of baking soda we use to maintain the pool…how many batches of muffins do you think I could make with this?? Haha.
5. Add the blueberries and stir gently so you don’t break them in the batter. Once everything is combined, add cinnamon to your liking.
6. Pour them into lined muffin tins until the liners are 3/4 full. Pop them in the oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes until well firmed. Slightly browned is preferable. Remove from oven and let cool 10-15 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Details (approximate):
serving size one muffin
Fat (monunsaturated) 1 g
Cholesterol 46 g
Sodium 73 g
Potassium 145 g
Carbohydrates 11 g (10 g net)
Fiber 1 g
Sugar 5 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 2%
Vitamin C 6%